New Shutters

Monday night, we finally installed our new shutters!!  Before we bought our house, I looked at many pictures of it on google street view.  We decided that we were not a fan of the black shutters.  They were so boring and too small for the windows.

For the new shutters, I knew I would only want them on the outer two windows.  I wanted to draw attention away from the middle encasement window.  It is too close to the door to have proper sized shutters.  We started building the new shutters a few weeks ago using a  design from Lowes.  The diagrams were easy to follow, and we love the results!  When we were getting the paint mixed, the lady mixing the paint nicely told me she thought I was crazy for getting such a bright color in exterior paint ha-ha.

Before pictures:

IMG_20160320_110919300_HDR - Copy (2)IMG_20160320_110958223_HDR - CopyIMG_20160320_111017415_HDR

 

In the process of hanging:

Our adorable helper:

After pictures:

IMG_20160428_133820677_HDRIMG_20160426_121743033_HDRIMG_20160426_121726173_HDR

We painted the garage door window trim and mailbox post too.  The mailbox post is so bright you can see it from the end of the street.

 

 

Advertisements

Weekend Project: His and Hers Edition

His:

A creeper to use while changing oil and to move Miss Figgy (0ur fig tree) in and out of the garage in inclement weather.

Buying supplies

Miss Figgy and N

IMG_20160313_111315316

In progress

IMG_20160312_173241197

The finished product

Note:  This picture isn’t posed, he is actually changing the oil 🙂

Hers:

A spring apron using this pattern and fabric from my favorite fabric store.  The pattern is pretty easy to follow and uses french seams (which I love!).  The only issue I had was that the straps were super long.  I would suggest starting with shorter straps.  I had to trim them down by at least 18 inches.

The supplies

IMG_20160129_124003689_HDR

The finished product

More Newton birthday celebration pictures:

2016-03-161.jpg

Paint

One of the first things we did before moving in was paint.  We started with the pantry/laundry room area as practice.  We had originally decided to paint the whole house one neutral shade of white and then change it later.  I took a trip to Sherwin Williams and picked up many paint sample cards of pale neutrals.  There are so many shades of white available.  After holding up and comparing all the samples, we decided that white was kinda boring.

IMG_20160110_240909584

We went back to the paint store and ended up picking out Aquamarine for the laundry/pantry area and a shade of sky blue for our bedroom.

IMG_20160109_203040232

After seeing how bright and fun the Aquamarine was, we ended up painting the other two bedrooms in bright colors as well.

 

The blue paint we chose for the bedroom didn’t cover in one coat, so we had to get more paint.  We ended up going with Behr Marquee for the rest of the rooms and love it.  It is a little more expensive, but worth it to me to have to only do one coat.   The bedroom is C’est La Vie to to go with our navy and white bedding.

Drew chose the office color to be Balsam.

For the sewing room/guest room, I wanted mint. Pageant Green ended up being my choice.  The ceiling was originally brown, so we used leftover paint from the living room to make it gray.

IMG_20160131_114635292_HDRIMG_20160131_170919999

For the living room, we were strongly considering Electric Blue, but decided that a neutral gray with bright furnishings would be better.  We ended up choosing Gray Shimmer based on many internet recommendations of how it is one of the best neutral color choices for any home.

We also used the gray in the hallway.  Previously the hallway was three different shades of gray brown, so having it only be one color makes it look much cleaner.

IMG_20160109_124541855_HDRIMG_20160309_104740090_HDR

After all the painting and moving of boxes was complete, there was a celebratory cake.  A funfetti dinosaur cake, of course.IMG_20160127_165641584